Early Closing: The Vigo County Public Library will close at 5:00 p.m. on Friday, March 16 to welcome Julie Otsuka, award-winning author of the NEA Big Read 2018 Selection When the Emperor Was Divine. Julie will serve as the keynote speaker for this year’s NEA Big Read programming.
External Database Access Unavailable: Databases are currently available inside the Main Library and West Branch. External access to some databases is unavailable until further notice. We apologize for the inconvenience.
Welcome to the Vigo County Public Library
The Vigo County Public Library System has served the residents of Terre Haute and Vigo County Indiana since 1882 when local school trustees purchased the existing public library from the Terre Haute Library Association.
Generating Change. Transforming Lives.
The Vigo County Public Library generates positive change in the community by creating an environment of opportunity in which people can explore, expand their perspectives, and transform their own lives and the lives of future generations.
- Inclusiveness – respecting individual perspectives and diverse backgrounds, making cultural and intellectual resources available to all
- Community –committing to and investing in the betterment of the community
- Collaboration –working in concert with strategic partners to help the community flourish
- Innovation –invigorating the community and stimulating a creative economy through inventive ideas and services
- Accountability – managing resources responsibly to maintain the public’s trust.