Construction Alert: Limited parking will be available at the Main Branch starting May 8 due to a parking lot expansion project. Please note there is street parking along Seventh and Walnut Streets. We apologize for any inconvenience this may cause.
Standards of Behavior
The Board of Trustees of the Vigo County Public Library, by adopting the following standards, seeks to provide an atmosphere appropriate to the use of its facilities and services including participation with library sponsored social media or online services. These standards are supported by related library policies and procedures.
Library customers are expected to:
- Supervise behavior and safety of minors for which you are responsible. Adults who cannot care for themselves must also be monitored by their caregivers while on library property.
- Attend to personal belongings. The library is not responsible for belongings left in/on library property.
- Use library and library furniture, equipment and materials for their intended function.
- Wear appropriate clothing. Shoes and shirts must be worn.
- Maintain acceptable personal hygiene. Persons with odor offensive enough to constitute a nuisance to others will be required to leave the library.
- Use covered containers when bringing beverages into library buildings and comply with posted ‘Food’ and ‘Drink’ guidelines and restrictions. Where allowed, food and drink may not cause stains or offensive odors, nor be left unattended. Trash must be disposed of properly. Food deliveries to the library are not allowed.
- Use restrooms only for their intended purpose. Bathing and laundering are prohibited.
- Refrain from solicitation of any kind for any purpose without prior approval of the Library Director.
- Cooperate with staff and allow belongings to be searched in the event that the material detection alarm is activated.
- Use library parking areas, sidewalks, and lawns safely.
- Leave the library at the designated closing time.
The following actions and forms of conduct are not permitted:
- Engaging in any activity in violation of Federal, State, local or other applicable law or library policy.
- Behaving in a disruptive or potentially harmful manner.
- Harassing or speaking abusively to other customers or to library staff via any form of communication.
- Consuming or possessing alcohol, illegal drugs or being under the influence.
- Engaging in sexual activity of any kind, sexual harassment, or indecent exposure.
- Tampering with, damaging, or destroying library facilities, materials, and equipment or hacking library social media or online services.
- Creating disruptive noises, using profanity, yelling, or screaming. Cell phone ringtones should be muted.
- Bringing animals and pets into the library, with the exception of service animals.
- Sleeping in or on library property, lying down, blocking walkways, exits, or entrances, leaving belongings unattended, or monopolizing library space with excess personal belongings.
- Monopolizing seating or library spaces while not engaged in reading, studying, or use of library materials or services.
- Utilizing tobacco and e-cigarette products, including vaping, smoking, chewing, and other tobacco use, in library facilities or in unauthorized areas.
- Trespassing in nonpublic or unauthorized areas, being in the library without permission of an authorized library employee before or after library operating hours, or camping on grounds.
Violators will receive a warning and an opportunity to cease a behavior that violates this policy. Continued or repeat violations may result in suspension of library privileges for a duration commensurate with the severity of the offense, the patron’s history of policy violations, and any other relevant factors. When violations of behavior occur in library sponsored social media or online services, comments may be withdrawn or access revoked. The Library Director may establish reasonable and uniform guidelines for enforcement of the Library’s Standards of Behavior policies. Patrons engaged in behaviors that pose a serious imminent risk to health or safety may be immediately expelled from the library without warning and with or without the assistance of library security or local law enforcement.
When possible, patrons who have their library privileges suspended will be provided with written notification stating the specific library policy violated and specifying the length of the suspension. Appeal requests may be made in writing to the Library Director. Further appeals may be made in writing to the Library Board. As determined by federal, state, or local law and library policy, misconduct may lead to legal action or criminal prosecution.
Adopted by the Board of Trustees of the Vigo County Public Library on the 21th day of September, 2015