Inventory

Photographs from A Selected History of the Lincoln School
Date: August 1960
Accession Number: SM D.C. 22
Description: One small document case


Content and Scope of the Collection

These photographs were originally part of a term paper entitled "A Selected History of the Lincoln School in Terre Haute, Indiana, with Brief Biographies of Its Four Principals," by Pauline Duffy, August 1960. The paper has been bound and cataloged in Special Collections (SpC 379.772D G.C.). The photographs were removed from this book for preservation purposes and replaced with photocopies.

The photographs in this collection have been kept in the original order that they appeared in the book and the original captions have been used to describe them. Many of the photographs are original color prints (1958-1960) of the Lincoln School building or of teachers affiliated with the school. Other photographs appear to be black and white copy prints of historic photographs pertaining to the school in the late nineteenth and early twentieth centuries.

Small Document Case

 

 

 

 

Folder 1

 

 

 

Figure 1

Brick Structure, 110 N. 14th St. 
Oct. 1959

 

 

 

 

 

Figure 2

Brick Structure and Frame Structure
114 N. 14th St.
Oct. 1959

 

 

 

 

 

Folder 2

 

 

 

Figure 3

Brick Structure, 110 N. 14th St.
and
Frame Structure, 114 N. 14th St.
March, 1960

 

 

 

 

 

 

Figure 4

White Frame Structure, 114 N. 14th St.
and Brown Frame Structure, 120 N. 14th St.
March, 1960

 

 

 

 

 

Folder 3

 

 

 

Figure 6

The Fourteenth District School Erected at
Sixteenth and Elm Streets, 1888-1889

 

 

 

 

 

 

Folder 4

 

 

 

*Figure 7

Joseph Jackson and the Eighth Grade
Pupils at Lincoln School, 1909

 

 

 

 

 

 

Folder 5

 

 

 

*Figure 8

Mr. C.F. Stokes and Pupils, early 1900s, in the First School Building Erected at Sixteenth and Elm Streets.

 

 

Folder 6

 

 

 

*Figure 9

Miss Clara Trail and Her Pupils, Early 1900s, in the First School Building erected at Sixteenth and Elm Streets

 

 

 

 

 

 

Folder 7

 

 

 

*Figure 10

Albert Ernest Meyzeek, First Principal
of the Fourteenth District School, 1885-1890,  at His Home, 1701 West Chestnut Street,  Louisville, Kentucky
November 11, 1959
(2 photographs)

 

 

 

 

 

 

Folder 8

 

 

 

*Figure 11

Mother of Joseph Jackson

 

 

*Figure 12

Father of Joseph Jackson

 

 

 

 

 

 

Folder 9

 

 

 

*Figure 13

Joseph Jackson, Second Principal of the
Fourteenth District School, 1890-1919

 

 

 

 

 

 

Folder 10

 

 

 

Figure 14

Some of Joseph Jackson's Books at
1930 Spruce Street.
Picture Taken November, 1959

 

 

Folder 11

 

 

 

*Figure 15

Original Spruce Street A.M.E. Church

 

 

 

 

 

 

Folder 12

 

 

 

Figure 16

Morton A. Lewis, Third Principal of the
Fourteenth District School, 1919-1946.
Picture Taken July, 1960
(2 photographs)

 

 

 

 

 

 

Folder 13

 

 

 

Figure 17

Edith Hodge Bigham, Fourth Principal of
Lincoln School, 1946-1958.
Picture Taken December, 1959

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

Figure 18

Edith Hodge Bigham.
Picture Taken August, 1960

 

 

 

 

 

 

Folder 14

 

 

 

Figure 19

Two Views. West Entrance. Lincoln
School, 1958, Before Remodeling Began.
(2 photographs)

 

 

 

 

 

Folder 15

 

 

 

Figure 20

West Entrance, Lincoln School, 1958,
Before Remodeling Began.

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

Figure 21

Southwest Entrance Lincoln School, 1958,
Before Remodeling Began

 

 

Folder 16

 

 

 

Figure 22

Southwest Entrance, Lincoln School, 1958,
Before Remodeling Began.

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

Figure 23

Southeast Entrance, Lincoln School, 1958,
Before Remodeling Began.

 

 

 

 

 

 

Folder 17

 

 

 

Figure 24

Southwest Corner, Lincoln School, 1958,
Before Remodeling Began.

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

Figure 25

Southeast Corner, Lincoln School, 1958,
Before Remodeling Began.

 

 

 

 

 

 

Folder 18

 

 

 

Figure 26

Front (West) Views, James Whitcomb Riley School, Formerly the Lincoln School, 1959.
(2 photographs)

 

 

 

 

 

 

Folder 19

 

 

 

Figure 27

West Entrance, Lincoln School, 1958,
Before Remodeling Began.

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

Figure 28

Front (West) View, James Whitcomb Riley School, Formerly the Lincoln School. 1959.

 

 

 

 

 

 

Folder 20

 

 

 

Figure 29

Southeast Corner, James Whitcomb Riley School, Formerly the Lincoln School.

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

Figure 30

East Side, James Whitcomb Riley School,
Formerly the Lincoln School.

 

 

Folder 21

 

 

 

Figure 31

Southwest Corner, James Whitcomb Riley School, Formerly the Lincoln School.

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

Figure 32

South Side, James Whitcomb Riley School,
Formerly the Lincoln School.

 

 

 

 

 

 

Folder 22

 

 

 

Figure 33

Front (west) Views, James Whitcomb Riley School, Formerly the Lincoln School.
(2 photographs)

 

Folder 23

 

 

 

 

 

Figure 34

Two Views, Spruce Street A.M.E. Church,
December, 1959.
(2 photographs)

 

Folder 24

 

 

 

 

 

*Figure 35

Two Views, Memorial to A.E. Meyzeek and Joseph Jackson; First Erected at the Lincoln School; Moved to Spruce Street A.M.E. Church, 1959
(2 photographs)

 

 

 

 

 

 

Folder 25

 

 

 

Figure 36

Two Views, Memorial to A.E. Meyzeek and Joseph Jackson; First Erected at the Lincoln School; Moved to Spruce Street A.M.E. Church, 1959
(2 photographs)

 

 

Folder 26

 

 

 

Figure 37

Wayne Watson, Superintendent, Terre Haute City Schools, When Remodeling of Lincoln School Began in 1958.

 

 

 

 

 

 

Folder 27

 

 

 

Figure 38

Max Gabbert, Superintendent, Terre Haute City Schools, , 1960, When Remodeling of Lincoln School Was Completed

 

 

 

 

 

 

Folder 28

 

 

 

Figure 39

A Group of the Lincoln School Faculty
About 1926

 

*There is a copy negative of this photograph and a copy print filed in the Community Archives Photograph Collection.