Inventory
 

Terre Haute Regional Hospital Newsletters
Dates: 1975-1982
Accession Number: 20030704B
Donor: Terre Haute Regional Hospital
Description: Five folders in a document case


History

The Terre Haute Regional Hospital was founded in 1882 in a two-story brick house on the corner of North Second and Mulberry Streets.  The unnamed hospital was supported financially by Antonia Hulman and managed by two Franciscan nuns.
 

In 1883, Antonia Hulman became terminally ill and asked her husband, Herman Hulman, Sr., to continue financial support of the hospital after her death. In compliance with Antonia's wishes, Hulman moved the 18-bed hospital from Mulberry Street to a larger building at South 6th and Farrington Streets, the former location of the Saint Agnes Academy. When the hospital opened in its new location on January 1, 1884, it had expanded from 18 beds to 24 private rooms and a public ward serving the needs of 57 patients. The hospital was named Saint Anthony's Hospital in honor of Mrs. Hulman's patron saint.
 

St. Anthony's Hospital expanded many times over the next several decades. A west wing was built in 1901, a north wing was added in 1909, and a south wing was added in 1922. During this period the original building was renovated into a nurses' dormitory and the third and fourth floors of the west wing were rebuilt. St. Anthony's Hospital engaged in its last expansion project at the Farrington Street location in the 1950s, participating with Union Hospital in the United Hospital Project.
 

At its peak, St. Anthony's Hospital had 28 Franciscan nuns on its staff.  By the 1970s, two developments led to the purchase of St. Anthony's Hospital by the Hospital Corporation of America. First, the number of Franciscan nuns interested in a health-care career was declining. Then, the hospital commis-sioned a facility study which concluded that the aging facility would have to be replaced by 1985 in order to meet current technolo-gical standards. The Francis-cans determined that funding the needed upgrades exceeded their current financial capabilities and arranged for the Hospital Corporation of America (HCA) to purchase the facility and take over its operation.  

 

The Hospital Corporation of America purchased St. Anthony's Hospital in 1975 and immediately began building a new state-of-the-art facility that would address the concerns of the earlier facility study. In 1979, the 96-year-old facilty at S. 6th and Farrington was replaced by a modern five-story hospital complex at 3901 S. 7th Street.
 

Content and Scope of Collection

This collection consists of monthly newsletters published by Terre Haute Regional Hospital between 1975 and 1984. This collection was generated from holdings in the Community Affairs File of the Special Collections Department and is a continuation of the St. Anthony's Hospital Newsletter collection (Accession Number 20030704A).

The newsletters contain articles about procedural changes and personnel changes in the hospital and departmental news and profiles.

 

Document Case

 

 

 

 

Folder 1

"Monitor"

1975

 

 

 

Folder 2

"Monitor"

1976

 

 

 

Folder 3

"Monitor"

1977

 

 

 

Folder 4

Monitor

1978

 

 

 

Folder 5

Monitor

1979-1980,
1982, 1984