St. Anthony Hospital School of
Dates: circa 1912-1988
Accession Number: OV 93
Donor: Pearl Allen
Description: One oversized scrapbook
Content and Scope of Collection
The St. Anthony Hospital School of Nursing was established in 1918 by the Sisters of St. Francis to provide a three-year program of education and training for nurses. Seven students graduated at its first commencement in 1921.
Although the school was in operation for 56 years, the gradual shift in nursing instruction/preparation to institutions of higher education and the establishment of a four-year nursing degree program at Indiana State University influenced the school's closing in 1974.
The collection contains one scrapbook filled with newspaper clippings and memorabilia which provide information on the students, the nursing program, and the hospital. Articles emphasize the life and activities of the alumni with many obituaries included.
Arrangement of material is chronological by graduating class.