- West Branch
- Local History
- Young People's
|-A A A+|
The Educational Heritage Association, Inc. of Vigo County (EHA) welcomes you to its website. EHA is a grass roots organization made up of volunteers focused on collecting, preserving, & promoting education in the Wabash Valley. It was state incorporated in 2002 & received a federal tax exempt status in 2003. If you share its vision and would like to become a member or make a monetary donation to the association, please complete the form(s) provided and return them to the address indicated.
Donations of documents, photos, records, and/or memorabilia are welcomed. Anything you might contribute to preserving the history of education as it molded and shaped the progress of Vigo County will be deeply appreciated.
Each year EHA honors outstanding alumni and/or educators that have made a significant contributionto education and/or in their profession.
Each recipient receives a plaque of the school they attended or served and a $100 donation is made to the Vigo County Education Foundation in his/her honor. If you would like to nominate someone you feel meets the criteria for selection, please complete the form provided and mail it to the address indicated on the form. Nominations are due by June 30 of each year and are held on file for seven years.
Several projects are in progress to achieve the mission of the association. Plans are being made to build a log school house at Fowler Park in 2008, the creating of an online access to the collection of memorabilia already contributed (2007), and identifying of the location of all the schools that were located in the county prior to consolidation (ongoing). Any help you might be able to provide in any of these areas would be appreciated.
The association appreciates your interest in its operation and thanks you for selecting its website.
The Educational Heritage Association, Inc. of Vigo County preserves & displays our past educational heritage, archives our current educational heritage, & provides a keyhole view to the future role of education in the development of Vigo County.
The Educational Heritage Association, Inc. of Vigo County is to collect & maintain historical documents, materials, equipment & facilities that display our educational heritage from the past & to continue this into the future so that citizens can relive this heritage & its impact on their lives & county.
The purpose of this award is to provide recognition for outstanding achievements of former educators and students of the Vigo County Schools. To date, the following individuals have received this award:
Honorable Birch E. Bayh, Jr.
P. Peter Chalos
Elizabeth Smith Denehie
Dr. Vanita Gibbs
Saint Mother Theodore Guerin
Dr. Millie Vaughn
Eligibility for Award:
1. Any person living or deceased may be honored who meets the criteria below.
2. The nominee should have made significant contributions benefiting his or her community, state, or nation.
Nature of Award:
A plaque with the picture of the school attended or serviced by the candidate along with a $100 contribution to the Educational Foundation of the Vigo County Schools will be made in the recipient's name.
1. Nominations may be submitted to the Educational Heritage Association.
2. All nominations must be in writing & should be accompanied by complete biographical information.
3. Regular nomination forms should be used and may be secured from the Educational Heritage Association.
4. Nominations should be postmarked no later than June 30 to be considered for an award the following November.
5. All nominations should be addressed to the Chairman of the Distinguished Educator & Alumni Award.
1. The candidate has attended/served in the Vigo County Schools for at least three years.
2. Nominations are open to the general public.
3. The nomination forms will be kept on file for seven years & reviewed annually.
4. The Distinguished Alum Committee will review nominations and make recommendations to the Board for its approval for recognition of candidates who meet the requirements.
5. Awards may be made posthumously.
6. Selections must be completed by September 30.
7. A minimum of three persons may receive the award in any given calendar year.
8. A detailed description of the significant contributions of the candidate.
Educational Heritage Association, Inc. of Vigo County
P.O. Box 3544
Terre Haute, IN 47803
Vigo County Public Library
One Library Square
Terre Haute, IN 47807
*Labor Day to
Special Collections is
9am - 9pm
9am - 6pm
9am - 5pm
1pm - 5pm
Memorial Day only
closed on Sundays