Early Closing: The Vigo County Public Library will close at 5:00 p.m. on Friday, March 16 to welcome Julie Otsuka, award-winning author of the NEA Big Read 2018 Selection When the Emperor Was Divine. Julie will serve as the keynote speaker for this year’s NEA Big Read programming.
External Database Access Unavailable: Databases are currently available inside the Main Library and West Branch. External access to some databases is unavailable until further notice. We apologize for the inconvenience.
Library Program Policy
The Vigo County Public Library develops, implements, and sponsors programs designed to meet the educational, cultural, and recreational needs and interests of the community according to the following guidelines:
- Programs are developed for a variety of age groups including children and young people.
- Programs and events are normally free of charge, however registration prior to a program or event may be required for certain programs. A fee to cover the cost of speakers or items may be assessed for certain programs, for example, for classes conducted in conjunction with Ivy Tech or Indiana State University.
- The Vigo County Public Library Community Services department provides programming assistance to area groups or organizations and makes available a wide range of specialized information, ideas, and materials for programs and displays.
- The Vigo County Public Library Young Peoples department houses a variety of specialized information, ideas, and materials for programs for young people for use by teachers, counselors, leaders, etc.
- Suggestions for proposed programming events to be sponsored by the Vigo County Public Library are always welcome and appreciated.
- The Vigo County Public Library seeks to form partnerships with various community groups and institutions in the development and implementation of a variety of diverse programs and may seek to co-sponsor such programs with a wide mixture of community groups or organizations.
- By making meeting rooms available for programs the Vigo County Public Library does not advocate or endorse the viewpoints of a particular group, a meeting, or ideas presented at a program held in the library’s facilities.
- Programs and events sponsored by the Vigo County Public Library are open for attendance by all individuals without regard to residency.
- Programs may be conducted at the Main Library and at all four branch locations and may also be conducted at other than a library location, for example, a special storytime or book club discussion.
- Parental involvement, participation, and attendance are encouraged at all young peoples' events and programs.
Adopted by the Board of Trustees of the Vigo County Public Library on the 17th day of March, 2008.
Guidelines for Library Programs
Book Club Guidelines:
- The Vigo County Public Library sponsors Book Clubs at library and various community locations. Vigo County Public Library Book Clubs are open to all interested adults.
- All VCPL Book Club attendees are encouraged to become involved in book selection and book discussion.
- Vigo County Public Library Book Clubs reflect the diversity of adults attending. Individuals interested in attending Vigo County Public Library Book Clubs should be interested in reading and discussing a wide variety of titles.
- Book Clubs may be established to focus on a particular theme and will have a limited range of book selection.
- The Vigo County Public Library also supports community book clubs.
- The Community Services Department will work with groups or organizations to establish new book clubs in Vigo County. The Community Services Coordinator and or other library staff will attend, assist attendees consider guidelines, select titles, and facilitate discussions.
- These guidelines also apply to the establishment of future book clubs geared to the reading interests of teens and other age groups.
Brown Bag Program Guidelines:
- Brown Bag programs are conducted at noon at the Main Library and may center on a particular annual theme or reflect a wide variety of topics of local interest.
- Brown Bag programs may include a lunch which must be reserved in advance and is provided by a local caterer or restaurant. Lunches are optional to all program attendees.
- Speakers may be engaged free of cost or may be reimbursed for expenses and speaking fees.
- Brown Bag programs are normally scheduled several months in advance.
- The majority of Brown Bag programs is planned for adult audiences and may be appropriate for younger audiences.
Storytime, Summer Reading, and Young Peoples Program Guidelines:
- Storytimes, after school programs, summer reading programs, craft programs, special events, and specialized programming for defined age groups are offered at various times during the year at all library locations.
- Young Peoples programming is normally conducted by a VCPL staff member however guest presenters, speakers, or musicians may also be scheduled.
- Storytimes and other programs such as the summer reading program may be scheduled as a series of events taking place during an 8 week or shorter time span.
- Young peoples programs are often planned around the age of the participants. For example, a 4-year old child would be encouraged to participate in the preschool storytime planned for 3 to 5 year old children. A 14-month old child would join the Lap-Sit program designed for children under the age of 2. Library materials and activities are also age-appropriate.
- A 30-minute storytime will normally include the sharing of no fewer than two stories. The presentations may be in book format, using a flannelboard and or puppets, or a presenter telling a story using related props. Other activities vary but usually include fingerplays, movement, music, and possibly a simple craft related to the stories.
- Parental involvement, participation, and attendance are encouraged at all young peoples' events and programs. The adult who accompanies the child is required to remain in the library during a storytime or program designed for very young children.
- A program presenter will make available additional library materials for checkout after the event.