Construction Alert: Limited parking will be available at the Main Branch starting May 8 due to a parking lot expansion project. Please note there is street parking along Seventh and Walnut Streets. We apologize for any inconvenience this may cause.
American Business Women's Association
American Business Women's Association, Sycamore Chapter was founded in 1949 for working women of diverse occupations and to provide opportunities for them to help themselves and others.
American Legion Pioneer Post #340
American Legion Pioneer Post #340 was organized February 28, 1928 at the request of Orlan Kanady, Carl J. Milliken, Clarence D. Hart, William Manuel, Thomas G. Waldron Sr., and Lloyd Bibbs. "A large group of colored veterans were present at the organizational meeting to hear an address by the Honorable Ora D. Davis, Mayor of Terre Haute, who explained the purpose of the American Legion and why the colored veterans should have their own post, although they were welcome to join Ft. Harrison Post #40. District Commander Linn S. Kidd was in charge of the meeting and about 75 veterans attended." The post was named for the unit of Terre Haute men who served in the 809th Pioneer Infantry, Company F during World War I. The first post home was located on South 12th Street. Later in 1938, the post members purchased the property at Tippecanoe Street and expanded the property in 1980 towards the southern portion of the 2100 block. In 1987 questionnaires sent to 268 members, with only one abstaining and one no vote, showed that Post #340 wanted a new "Post Home." The new building at 2149 Tippecanoe St. was completed April 1988 and dedicated June 1, 1988. Post #340 and its Auxillary support Boys State and Girls State.
American Red Cross of the Wabash Valley
The chapter was first founded as the "Terre Haute Chapter" on February 17, 1917 by Charter of the United States Congress signed by President Woodrow Wilson to serve Terre Haute under Chapter Chairman William C. Ball. It was rechartered March 15, 1955 as "The Terre Haute-Vigo County Chapter" signed by President Dwight D. Eisenhower to serve the enlarged area. Another charter was issued March 19, 1962 as "The Wabash Valley Chapter" and was signed by President John F. Kennedy in order to give the chapter expansion opportunities to meet the increasing needs for services in a larger area. Parke County joined with Wabash Valley in 1991 and Sullivan County was added in 1995.
Chapter records reveal that The American Red Cross played an extremely important role in this part of Indiana and that the chapter was very active during two World Wars, the Korean Conflict, The Great Depression of the 1930s, and other active periods such as the Vietnam Crisis, Desert Storm, and the civil war in Bosnia. Awards have been given to this chapter from other national societies and it has shared in the Nobel Peace Prize through the International Red Cross.
American Society of Women Accountants Terre Haute Chapter No. 8
The American Society of Women Accountants was founded in 1938 and the Terre Haute Chapter No. 8 received its charter in 1942, with Harriett Hahn, CPA as the first president.
Ancient Accepted Scottish Rite of Freemasonry
The Ancient Accepted Scottish Rite is a masonic organization. The local lodge was organized in 1951. The local lodge building, commissioned by Theodore W. Barhydt, opened as the Hippedrome Theater, a vaudeville palace, on February 15, 1915 at 8th and Ohio Streets. The Hippedrome has been said to be the oldest vaudeville house in the US. This theater played live entertainment until August 30, 1924 when it became a motion picture house. The Scottish Rite purchased the building in 1956 for $100,000. The building has been faithfully preserved by the Scottish Rite and hosts two public concerts each year, one by the Brazil Concert Band and the other by the Sinfonietta. Scottish Rite activities include supporting research for Schizophrenia, the support of a Learning Disability Center for children, and Family Week.
Apartment Owners and Managers Association of Greater Terre Haute, Inc.
Yvonne DeLong Avary, Greg Archer, Ren Wright, Bill McDonnell, Bill Price, and Jack Pearcy founded a social and professional organization for rental property owners and managers in 1978.
Badoura Temple #23, Daughters of the Nile
The Supreme Temple founded the Badoura Temple #23 on April 16, 1925. The organization assists Shriners in charitable work through sewing for the St. Louis and Lexington hospitals and provision of funds for orthopedic needs of children throughout the US and Canada.
Banks of the Wabash York Rite College #72
Banks of the Wabash York Rite College #72 was organized in 1979 and is a fraternal masonic group. This group supports medical philanthropy and educational scholarships in the US and Canada.
Big Brothers Big Sisters of Vigo County, Inc.
Big Brothers Big Sisters of Vigo County, Inc. is the local chapter of Big Brothers Big Sisters of America Federation. The local chapter was incorporated as a Big Brother program in May of 1964. Submission for United Way funding in 1966 occurred with affiliation beginning in 1967. During the early 1970s, the Big Sister program formed. A relationship with ISU began in 1965 as part of Vigo County's War on Poverty campaign. During 1977 with Title XX funding the agency reorganized initiating greater involvement with Rose Hulman and ISU students. A relationship was established with the Governor's Commission for a Drug Free Indiana in 1990. Grant funds were also received from C.H.A.N.C.E.S. For Youth in 1990 and those continued until July 1997. Currently (as of 1999) the agency has stepped up to the plate in committment to TEAM 2000, the growth of the Big Brothers Big Sisters of America Federation, by making a committment to double the number of children served by the end of the year 2000.
C. S. Lewis Society
Kenneth Michael helped co-found this literary club for the study of the works of C. S. Lewis on February 6, 1998. The literary club meets once a month and hosted a 100th birthday party in honor of C. S. Lewis.
Carpe Diem Club
The Carpe Diem Club was founded November 15, 1951 by Helen Braun and Virginia Galbraith. The main purpose of the club is charity work. Some activities which it has done are Easter egg hunts, Santa Claus parties, bean dinners, Halloween parties, garage sales, and cooking for election workers. The club has used funding for the purposes of sending girls to 4-H camp, the purchase of coal, payment of light bills and gas bills, the purchase of groceries, fixing Easter, Thanksgiving, and Christmas baskets, and the purchase of clothing for needy children.
Community Theatre of Terre Haute, Inc.
The second oldest community theater in continuous operation in the state of Indiana, established 1926, completed a one million dollar expansion and renovation of its theater at 25th and Washington Streets in 1998.
Delta Kappa Gamma Society International Delta Chapter
The local chapter of Delta Kappa Gamma Society was founded by Mrs. Charlotte Burford and Miss Blanche on November 19, 1938. The International Society was founded May 11, 1929 at the University of Texas at Austin by Dr. Annie Webb Blanton, who envisioned a functioning organization uniting women teachers.
Edward C. Etchison Council #326, Allied Masonic Degrees
The Edward C. Etchison Council #326, Allied Masonic Degrees was established in 1985 for the purpose of researching masonic history and to keep old degrees alive. The Council is a fraternal masonic organization affiliated with Royal Arch Masons, York Rite and membership is limited to 27 persons.
Eugene V. Debs Foundation
The Eugene V. Debs Foundation was founded in 1962 to preserve the home of Kate and Eugene Debs at 451 N. 8th St. and maintain it as a museum open to the public.
Family Service Association of the Wabash Valley, Inc.
A not-for-profit counseling agency was founded in 1882 for children and adults. FSA's mission is to "strengthen and preserve family and individual life" through programs of counseling and family life education.
Fort Harrison Chapter, Daughters of the American Revolution
The Fort Harrison Chapter of D.A.R. was founded for historic preservation, study of history, education, and patriotic celebrations on April 8, 1909. Its members are women of lineal blood line descent from an ancestor who aided in achieving American independence.
Francis Vigo American Italian Club
The Francis Vigo American Italian Club was organized in 1972 in Vigo County, Indiana by a small group of people of Italian heritage. It is part of the club's purpose to help its members have an appreciation of their heritage as descendants of immigrants and contributions of that heritage to the growth and development of the US.
Friends of the Vigo County Public Library
The Friends of the Library was organized as a not-for-profit group in 1984 to promote the VCPL as a cultural, educational and recreational asset to the community. The Friends raise money to support the Library in the areas of special events, publicity, programming, furniture and equipment and for any other special needs that arise. Their major fundraisers include an annual book sale and holiday book nook and weekly book cart sales. The Friends group is governed by a 15-member board of individuals from the community.
Girls Club (Torner House)
August 14, 1930
The first Girl Scout troop was organized in Terre Haute at the YWCA in 1918 by Ida Probst six years after Juliette Gordon Low had founded Girl Scouting in the United States.
The Terre Haute Girl Scout Council was organized in 1930. The present Covered Bridge Council was formed in 1962 and its headquarters at 1100 Girl Scout Lane in Fairbanks Park opened in 1974.
Hamilton Center, Inc.
The Vigo County offices of Hamilton Center, Inc. were opened in 1971. This was the result of work from a Regional Planning Committee comprised of citizens in the area to study the need for a community mental health center. The organization was named in honor of Katherine Hamilton, a pioneer and advocate for the mental health cause.
Hamilton Center, Inc. has grown to become a Regional Behavioral Health organization serving central and west central Indiana with offices located in Clay, Greene, Marion, Owen, Parke, Putnam, Sullivan, and Vermillion counties. The agency provides the full continuum of mental health and addictions treatment to children, adolescents, adults and families. The organization also provides rehabilitation services for adults with disabilities living in Vigo County.
Hamilton Center, Inc. started as a small community mental health center. It has grown significantly since 1971 and now has offices all over the state of Indiana and employs over 600 people state-wide.
Happiness Bag, Incorporated
Founded in 1971 as a touring theater company by Sydney Stowe and Kaye Kale, Happiness Bag, Inc. adapted its name from a Korean tradition. This United Way Center serves disabled children and adults.
Heart of the Nation Chapter, Professional Secretaries International
The local chapter of Professional Secretaries International was founded on November 1, 1953 by the Crossroads of America Chapter of Professional Secretaries International. The purpose of this organization was "to elevate the standards of the secretarial profession through education."
The organization underwent a name change in February 1981 and also in July 1996.
The Indiana division holds an annual meeting each April and the local chapter has been the Host Chapter three times - in 1962, 1968, and 1986. The meeting was held at the Terre Haute House in 1962 and in 1968, but moved to the Holiday Inn in 1986.
Major activities of the group included the Certified Professional Secretary Program, Professional Secretaries Week, Secretary of the Year, and many charitable activities.
The local chapter disbanded May 31, 1997.
Honey Creek Garden Club
Honey Creek Garden Club was established January 23, 1963 by 12 members. The Garden Club meets monthly in order to stimulate knowledge and love of gardening. The Club also awards an annual scholarship to a student in horticultural related studies, gives an annual donation to the Vigo County Public Library, awards winners at the Vigo County Fair Flower Show, is a member of Trees, Inc., hosts an annual plant sale, and hosts an annual flower show.
Hoosier Heritage Spinners' & Weavers' Guild
On July 15, 1987 Marti Luzader and Brenda Chaney founded this craft guild to promote the resurgence of spinning, weaving and related fiber arts in Parke County and surrounding areas.
Indiana Preceptor Gamma Psi Chapter of Beta Sigma Phi
Indiana Preceptor Gamma Psi Chapter of Beta Sigma Phi was founded January 3, 1996. The charter members were progressing and other members of Indiana Xi Zeta Theta Chapter of Beta Sigma Phi (an Exemplar Degree Chapter). Beta Sigma Phi sorority is an international women's social, cultural, and service organization orginally founded in 1931 to provide women with a social outlet, a cultural forum, and an opportunity for service. Beta Sigma Phi is the largest Greek letter women's association in the world. It is not a secret group; Beta Sigma Phi is non-sectarian, non-political and not affiliated with any school or university although there are chapters on some campuses. The organization has members of all ages and educational backgrounds.
IN Eta Master Chapter of Beta Sigma Phi
Indiana Eta Master Chapter of Beta Sigma Phi was established on June 8, 1991 by the Laurete Eta Chapter and Beverly A. Light. Eta Master Chapter's activities include listening to many interesting speakers, several programs by members, and many chapter members are volunteers.
John Martin Chapter of the Sons of the American Revolution
The Descendants of the American Revolution founded this organization on July 4, 1876 for male, lineal descendants of an ancestor who was at all times unfailing in loyalty to, and rendered active service in the cause of American Independence. The main purpose of the organization is patriotic, historical, and educational; to promote fellowship through the descendants and to inspire young people.
Junior Achievement of the Wabash Valley, Inc.
The local Junior Achievement was founded in 1965.
Krietenstein American Legion Post 104
The Krietenstein American Legion Post 104 "The Original Friendly Post" was named in honor of Carl Mount Krietenstein, donator (through his estate) of the original post and property on North Thirteenth Street. The charter was accepted and signed on July 7, 1928. The first commander of the post was J. Straughan, founder, who served from 1928 to 1930. The post moved on November 1, 1996 to a new location at 2690 Ft. Harrison Rd. and the old property was sold.
Laureate Iota, Chapter of Beta Sigma Phi
Laureate Iota chapter of Beta Sigma Phi was founded June 26, 1979. The main purposes of the social chapter are cultural and service. Major activities are various interesting programs on different subjects.
Laureate Omicron, Chapter of Beta Sigma Phi, successor to Preceptor Omicron Chapter
Beverly Light and Edythe Westerfield founded this chapter in 1969 as the Preceptor Omicron Chapter. The group underwent a name change in 1997 when 22 members became eligible for the Laureate Degree and chose to stay together in one chapter. The Motto of this group is Life, Learning and Friendship. The group normally has a guest speaker or members present a cultural program each month along with the monthly social. In addition, a number of service projects are performed each year at the McMillan Adult Day Care Center and donations are given to the Sullivan County Family Welfare Service.
Leadership Terre Haute, Inc.
Leadership Terre Haute, Inc. was founded in 1978 by Richard Landini, Connie Ratcliff, James G. Backes, Max Miller, Nancy Tarbox, and Alan Rankin. Leadership Terre Haute is a nonpartisan community leadership educational program. The program is designed to identify potential community leaders, assist them in the development of their community leadership skills, and enhance their ability to positively impact the community. Youth Leadership Terre Haute was begun in 1990 and is conducted in cooperation with the Vigo County School Corporation for students. Some programs offered by Leadership Terre Haute include Edibles and Ideas as well as Valley Point of View.
Local National Youth Adminstration
Workers train for jobs in industry in 1943.
Lost Creek Community Club
The Lost Creek Community Club was founded on December 2, 1945 by community residents and plans made on April 5, 1946 included a purchase agreement of 6.9 acres of land known as Hamilton Grove. During the fundraising activities a "Womanless Wedding" was held on February 15, 1947. Other more common fundraisers were plays, softball games, box suppers and even renting out the ground to Harry Batton as pasture for several years before the pouring of a concrete area in June 1950. The first membership banquet was held June 1960 and the 50th Anniversary was celebrated September 14, 1996.
National Society Colonial Dames XVII Century, Nathaniel Foote Chapter
The founding date is March 30, 1963 although the history of the Nathaniel Foote Chapter of the Colonial Dames XVII Century dates from October 4, 1958 when Alma Love Metcalf was appointed Organizing President at the State Society meeting in Lebanon. In November 1957 Mrs. Metcalf had received application papers and an invitation from Mrs. H.C. Harvey, State Organizing Secretary, inviting her to become a member of the Colonial Dames XVII Century. Her name had been suggested by a cousin in California to the then National President General, Mrs. Harrington. In February 1958 Metcalf's application papers were approved and she became a member of the Benjamin Mendenhall Chapter. Mrs. Harvey then suggested it would be wonderful if a chapter could be organized in Terre Haute and asked Metcalf to investigate the possibility.
On October 24, 1959 an organizing meeting was held in the Crystal Room of the Deming Hotel and with a membership of ten, the chapter name of "Nathaniel Foote" was officially confirmed. The charter requirement of twenty-one members was achieved and on March 30, 1963 the chapter was chartered.
P.E.O., Chapter AW, Sisterhood
AW Chapter of P.E.O. Sisterhood was founded in 1950 by Bess Cunningham. The first president of AW Chapter was Mary McCutchan Waltor. The first P.E.O. Sisterhood was founded January 21, 1869 at Mount Pleasant, Iowa to aid women pursuing higher education and for charitable purposes. AW Chapter of P.E.O. is involved in five major projects: Cottey College in Nevada, Missouri; PEO Scholars; Continuing Education; Educational Loan Fund; and International Peace Scholarships.
P.E.O., Chapter BN, Sisterhood
Chapter BN of the P.E.O. Sisterhood was founded May 5, 1953 by the P.E.O. Indiana State Organizer with the sponsorship of a member of Chapter K.
P.E.O. is a philanthropic, educational social group which is involved in the sponsorship, maintenance and promotion of Cottey Junior College for Women in Navada, Missouri.
P.E.O., Chapter K, Sisterhood
P.E.O., Chapter K was founded on December 12, 1926 for the purpose of philanthropy and education.
P.E.O., Chapter Z, Sisterhood
PEO Sisterhood was founded January 21, 1869 at Iowa Wesleyan College by 7 very bright dedicated friends and Terre Haute's chapter began April 22, 1934.
Preceptor Gamma Omega Chapter
of Beta Sigma Phi
This chapter grew out of the Xi Epsilon Psi chapter and was founded on May 7, 1996. The main Purposes are to promote friendship, cultural and social development. Major activities of the group were State Council Day, State Day, City Council Activities, selected Cultural Programs from the BSP Ala-Carte list, Chapter Socials, and various service projects.
Retired Railroad Men's Association
The Retired Railroad Men's Association was founded April 29, 1942 by W.F. Kreke and John W. Aubert for the purpose of protecting the Retirement Act and to liberalize the same, when such time is favorable and to assist members entitled to Annuity, under the retirement laws to secure the same. The by-laws were changed in 1993 to allow women railroad employees to join the association.
Riley Chapter #22 Order of Eastern Star
The Riley Chapter of Order of Eastern Star was founded in 1874 with charity as its main purpose. Contributions are made to Heart Fund, Cancer, Youth Foundation, Eye Foundation, Scholarship Fund, and Masonic Home for Elderly.
Rotary Club of Terre Haute
The Rotary Club of Terre Haute is a civic service group which was founded in September 1913. Major activities of the group are the Goodwill Drive, the Rotary-Kiwanis Outing, and Salvation Army Bell Ringing.
Sigma Kappa Alumnae
The Terre Haute Chapter of Sigma Kappa Alumnae was founded in 1951 by local alumnae of the National organization. This is a social and support group for the ISU chapter of Sigma Kappa. Major activities are the Homecoming openhouse, Founders Day Celebration, an invitation luncheon, and a geneology project.
Swinging Mates Square Dance Club
Bob and Jeanne Bolling founded the Swinging Mates Square Dance Club in 1956. "Bob recalls he and a friend and fellow caller were teaching groups of dancers in 1956, decided to form a club and see how many dancers they could get together. Bob and pal came up with 26 couples, and The Swinging Mates were born." The Swinging Mates is a non-profit club which performs at nursing homes. The only requirements for membership are to take lessons, dance, and have fun.
Swope Art Museum
Terre Haute jeweler Sheldon Swope (1843-1929) made provisions in his will to establish an art gallery in his adopted hometown. Ten years after his death, planning began for the new gallery and collection to be housed there. The Swope opened with nationwide attention in 1942 and was featured in "Art Digest," in April of 1942, one month after it opened.
The collection consists of 19th & 20th century American art with important works by Thomas Cole, George Inness, Mary Fairchild MacMonnies, George Bellows, Thomas Hart Benton, Grant Wood, Malvina Hoffman, Edward Hopper, Richard Hunt, Robert Motherwell, Andy Warhol, and important Indiana artists such as T.C. Steele, J. Otis Adams, Otto Stark, Gilbert Wilson, Janet Scupper, Caroline Peddle Ball, and James F. Gookins.
The first director, John Rogers Cox, in 1942 bought important new works by living artists (Grant Wood, Thomas Hart Benton, Charles Burchfield, and Edward Hopper).
In 1987 the gallery became Swope Art Museum. The focus changed to American art only in 1995. Pieces of Non-American were deaccessioned or given to other historical museums.
Sycamore "A" Region
This club for owners of Ford Model "A" vehicles 1928-1931 was founded by Robert Murphy on March 31, 1986. The club activities include tours, visits to school functions, and displays pertaining to this car.
Terre Haute Chapter #11, Royal Arch Masons, York Rite
Terre Haute Chapter #11, Royal Arch Masons, York Rite was established in 1849 and celebrates its 150th milestone in 1999. The fraternal, masonic organization's major philanthropic project is the support of retinal aprothy research.
Terre Haute Chapter #43 - Order of Eastern Star
Ladies with a masonic background formed the Terre Haute Chapter of the Order of Eastern Star on March 6, 1880. The Order of Eastern Star is a non-profit humanitarian organization open to those over 18 with a masonic affiliation.
Some of the projects taken on by Chapter 43 are collecting of stuffed animals for local children and toiletries for members in Franklin, IN home and hospital. Monies are given to: Masonic home, International Temple Fund, Cancer Fund, Fruit Fund, World of Youth, Nettie Ransford Scholarship Fund, and Knights Templar Eye Foundation.
Terre Haute Commandery #16, Knights Templar, York Rite
The Knights Templar, York Rite established the Terre Haute Commandery #16 on April 6, 1863. This fraternal, masonic organization contributes to the Eye Foundation, to educational scholarships and is involved with Holy Land Pilgrimage.
Terre Haute Convention & Visitors Bureau of Vigo County
A resolution enacted in 1980 by the county council, county commissioners and the mayor created the Terre Haute Convention & Visitors Bureau.
Terre Haute Council #8, Cryptic Masons, York Rite
The Cryptic Masons, York Rite established Terre Haute Council #8 in 1849. A major activity of the fraternal masonic club is philanthropy for arterial sclerious.
Terre Haute Day Nursery Association
The Terre Haute Day Nursery Association began from a suggestion by Superintendent of Rose Orphan's Home Lyman Alden in January 1888 to Mrs. D.W. Minshall, secretary of the Rose Ladies Aid Society that, "We have in view the establishment of a day nursery, where babies and children too young to be left alone could be cared for while their Mothers have gone to work." The association was formed by prominent women members of the Centenary Methodist Church in 1892. The first nursery was located on North Fourth Street and a branch nursery - the Pierce Nursery - opened in 1917 on Eighth Avenue. September 1947 saw the closing of the Pierce Nursery and July 1997, the relocated Day Nursery closed, selling building and property to Head Start. A fund established in 1998 continues to serve area children.
Terre Haute Masonic Temple
The Terre Haute Masonic Temple, as of 1999, is located on Eighth Street was founded on May 25, 1886. The main purpose of founding was "to form another Masonic Lodge".
Terre Haute Miss Softball America
This recreational softball program for girls ages 5-18 was begun in 1972. It has hosted many state tournaments and regional tourneys, has sponsored the Media Slow-Pitch Softball Tourney and the Snow Ball Tourney, and is in the process of building an indoor softball complex. Nick Telezyn is the current (as of 1999) President of THMSA.
Terre Haute Sinfonietta "Pops" Orchestra
The Sinfonietta, Terre Haute's Symphonic Pops Orchestra, was founded September 1, 1990 by ISU graduate David McConkey, Director of the Terre Haute Concert Band, and Dr. Earle R. Melendy, former ISU Director of Orchestras and former concertmaster of the Terre Haute Symphony Orchestra. The Sinfonietta was patterned after the Boston Pops Orchestra and all musicians contribute their time and talents without compensation. One of the most popular features of the concerts are the narrators - past narrators have been Mayor Jenkins, Kevin Orpurt, Louis Savage, Dr. Adrian Tio, and Congressman Edward Pease.
The Sinfonietta was honored by the State of Indiana for Community Service by Governor Evan Bayh in 1991.
Terre Haute Welcome Club
The Terre Haute Welcome Club was founded on October 11, 1949 by 12 new residents of Terre Haute. "The object of the club is to promote and cement lasting friendships for new neighbors in Terre Haute, and to enrich the life and welfare of the members and the community."
In 1964, the membership requirements changed from one year or less to two years or less as a resident for women. In 1984 the object of the club was added. In 1998, the requirements were broadened to extend membership outside Vigo County to Wabash Valley women.
Major activities of the club include an annual fundraising event to raise money or donations of goods to help out a needy family or families at Christmastime. In recent years an auction has been held in November to raise funds.
Terre Haute Women's Club Inc.
Terre Haute Women's Club was founded by Scotty Terhune and Pat Derks in July 1971. Both of these women had been GFWC members in other cities and wanted to start a group that would also become associated with The General Federation of Women's Clubs which is an organization binding together independent volunteer organizations formed to promote common interests in conservation, education, public affairs, the home, international affairs and the arts.
Pat and Scotty chose two projects for the new club which were Cara School where members served as aids and Throw, which was a recycling program for glass and paper. A new project which THWC could call its own was presented in January 1972. This new project was the Shoe Bank and it officially began on May 8, 1972.
Affiliation with GFWC came in February 1972 and Esther Billings took the club under her guidance until her death. Billings became the first Honorary member of THWC. The club incorporated in 1988-89 and recently voted to cut ties with the GFWC in order to concentrate on local projects. The main function of the club continues to be service to the community primarily involving school age children.
The Country Club of Terre Haute
The Terre Haute Golf Club was formed October 3, 1898, six years after the first golfing club was created in New York City. According to official club documents, the name changed in 1900 to the Country Club of Terre Haute. In a 1903 document, the Country Club had 179 active members, 6 associate members and 10 junior members in addition to the 42 Charter Members, some of whom were female, a progressive move for the late 1800s.
Land was purchased in 1918 from the Ijams family in Allendale and a nine hole course and clubhouse were built and finished by 1920. The club experienced a fire on October 5, 1923 which left only the smokestacks standing. A new clubhouse was built by 1924 and another nine holes were added to the course making this the only 18 hole course in Terre Haute. The back nine is the original course and the front is the newer addition designed by Bill Diddle, renowned golf course architect and founding member of the American Society of Golf Course Architects. In addition the club hosted the 1931 and 1950 Indiana Open Golf Championships.
The Hungarian Lodge of Terre Haute
The Hungarian Lodge of Terre Haute is actually named The First Hungarian Working Men's Sick and Death Benevolent Society. This lodge was founded July 30, 1909 by thirty-one members of the Hungarian community of Terre Haute for the purpose of promoting good fellowship and helpful support among its members and to preserve the unique heritage and traditions of Hungarian ancestry. From the original by-laws the purpose was "To financially assist the its sick members, to bury its dead members, to cultivate the spirit of 'Brotherhood', and to preserve and strengthen the Hungarian culture and heritage." Activities of the lodge are monthly meetings and carry-in dinners, two annual dances (Spring Dance in April and Harvest Dance in October), fund-raising events, donations to charities, assistance to members in times of sickness and death, and rental of the Hall facilities for receptions, showers, parties, and dances to both members and non-members. The Hall itself was built in 1922 at 22nd and Linden Streets in Terre Haute.
The Travelers Protective Association of America
The organization was founded in 1890. Some major activities with which it is involved are child safety, eyeglass collection, and promoting awareness of the hearing impaired.
Theta Tau Chapter of Beta Sigma Phi
Theta Tau Chapter of Beta Sigma Phi was founded October 1966 and is the first chapter in Seelyville, Indiana. It was founded by Esta Crim, Shirley Rogers, and Beverly Light. The major activities of the group are State Council Day, Bowling, State Day, Convention, Hoosier Boys Town, August Picnic, Style Show, Christmas Party, Queen's Ball, and Founder's Day.
Torner House Girls Club
The Torner House Girls Club was organized in 1945 by the Torner House Association. The Property at 1107 South Fourth Avenue had been purchased by the city with funds left by Rebecca Torner, a teacher at Wiley High School.
The Torner House Girls Club remained active until 1985. The property was sold and the funds used to build Torner Center in Deming Park.
TREES Inc. - Terre Haute ReLeaf Effort for the Environment and Civic Spirit
TREES Inc. was founded in January 1990 by a group of Terre Haute citizens organized by Joy Sacopulas for the purposes of improving the environment, beautification of the neighborhoods of Terre Haute, and to promote civic spirit. 1999 projects include "Adopt-a-Street-Tree" and the "Spring Beauty Campaign - Daffodil Project II."
United Way of the Wabash Valley, Inc.
United Way was founded in 1887 and the local fundraising unit became an affiliate in 1942.
The local unit started out as the Society for Organized Charity in 1882. It set up a transient shelter in an old station house that had been donated by the city, which was inadequate and funds were raised for a new one. The Welfare League started in 1919 and ran until 1932, was succeded by the Terre Haute Community Fund which was replaced by the Health-Welfare Fund in 1936 and the Community Chest was organized in 1942. The final name change occurred in 1976.
Vigo County American Legion Council
The Vigo County American Legion Council was founded in 1946 as the Vigo County Veterans Council for the purpose of forming an organization of all veterans, to keep veterans informed of benefits available. The council is currently (as of 1999) made up of 16 veteran organizations.
Activities in addition to informational ones for the benefit of veterans include furnishing and placing flags on veterans' graves on Memorial Day, holding a Memorial Day service at Veterans Circle at Highland Cemetery, and for the Veterans' Day Parade, furnishing vans for Danville and Indianapolis.
Vigo County Federal Credit Union
A group of Vigo County Teachers and Terre Haute School Employees founded the Terre Haute, IN Schools Employees Federal Credit Union which received its organization certificate on April 15, 1935. The name changed on August 7, 1962 to Vigo County School Employees Federal Credit Union and again February 2, 1983 to Vigo County Federal Credit Union. The charter change on June 23, 1998 provided the ability to take in members from the whole county.
Vigo County Public Library Homework Centers
Vigo County Public Library opened Homework Centers on August 26, 1997 at the Plaza North Branch with two workstations including computers and software through a Literacy Volunteers of America/GTE Foundation Family Literacy and Technology grant. A Homework Center opened at West Branch in the fall of 1998 through a cooperative program with the Vigo County School Corporation. Additional Centers opened at Meadows Branch, South Branch, and the Young People's department at Main Branch through an LSTA grant from INCOLSA.
Vigo County Quilter's Guild
The Vigo County Quilter's Guild was formed in 1981 for the development of appreciation of the history of quilting and quilters in addition to promotion of the continuation of this art form in the community.
Vigo County Teachers Association
The Vigo County Teachers Association was founded in 1961 at the time of the creation of the Vigo County School Corporation. It was the successor organization to the Terre Haute Teaching Association, which dates back to 1945.
Volunteer Action Center (VAC)
Volunteer Action Center was founded in November 1982 by a committee, most of whose members were on the Board of Directors of Family Service Association. The main purpose of VAC is to serve as a clearinghouse for volunteer services in the Wabash Valley, to mobilize community resources to solve community problems. The VAC assists volunteers in finding volunteer assignments in agencies or organizations serving the community in health, recreation, education or cultural activities. Major projects in which VAC is involved are the Volunteer Fair held in September at ISU and the Golden Rule Awards for volunteers given in cooperation with JCPenny in April. The VAC became a United Way Agency in 1987.
Wabash Valley Art Guild
Norman Ratliff founded the Wabash Valley Art Guild in the 1980s for fellowship and education for local artists.Wabash Valley Ducks Unlimited
The history of Wabash Valley Ducks Unlimited starts over half a century ago during the Dust Bowl of the 1930s when a group of sportsmen banded together to form an organization that would become known as Ducks Unlimited. North America's drought-plagued waterfowl populations had plunged to unprecedented lows and the founders of DU decided to do something about it. They incorporated the fledgling conservation group in 1937 and within a year, 6,720 supporters had raised $90,000.
The local chapter of Ducks Unlimited was founded in 1967. A membership dinner is held in October at Larry Bird's Homecourt with attendance of 300-400 persons.
Wabash Valley React, Inc.
Wabash Valley REACT, Inc. is a member of REACT (Radio Emergency Associated Communications Teams) International which covers Channel 9, twenty-four hours a day, seven days a week to offer public assistance in the community. The local team was formed in 1967, just five years after Hallicrafters Radio Corporation sponsored the original group and two years before GM was a sponsor.
Wabash Valley Stamp Club
The Wabash Valley Stamp Club was established in June 1929 and members met at the Emeline Fairbanks Public Library initially, though the meeting headquarters varied at this time. Club meetings during 1947 were held in the Goodwill Industries Building as were the annual stamp exhibits, through the generosity of Ted Grob, Sr., Goodwill Director and avid stamp collector. The club meeting site moved again to the Emeline Fairbanks Public Library in 1950, then in the same year to the McFall Room of the YMCA where the club met until 1968. Meetings moved to the Senior Citizens Center in 1968, but the new Vigo County Public Library became the meeting site in 1979. The stamp club was partly social until 1957 with wives and families taking part in activities. The club's largest exhibition was held in 1951 at the Mayflower Room of the Terre Haute House and was open to anyone in the US who might wish to exhibit. Presently the club is involved with monthly meetings and the annual stamp show.
West Central Indiana Chapter of American Ex-Prisoners of War
The local American Ex-POW chapter was founded March 7, 1991 by the national chapter.
West Terre Haute Chapter #428 Order of Eastern Star
Chapter #428 was founded October 6, 1917 by the Eastern Star's Indiana Grand Chapter to provide for the welfare of wives, daughters, mothers, widows, and sisters of Master Masons. The Heart Association, Cancer Fund, and toys for children in trauma are sponsored by #428.
West Terre Haute Masonic Lodge #687 (F&A.M.)
Lodge #687 was founded by the Grand Lodge of F. & A. M. in 1912. The lodge hosts an annual Fourth of July Members Breakfast honoring George Washington.
Western Indiana Employment and Training Services, Inc.
W.I.E.T.S. began with the implementation of the Jobs Training Partnership Act in 1983 as the Western Indiana Private Industry Council under executive director Patrick Dougherty who has since been replaced by Lisa Lee.
Western Indiana Grotto
This group for cavers was founded in May 1996 and has an affiliation with the National Speleological Society and supports Karst for the Future, a landowners' rights group.
Westminster Village, Terre Haute, Inc.
A group of concerned Vigo county citizens, comprised mostly of retired school teachers and ISU staff, founded this continued care facility in 1981.
Xi Alpha Mu of Beta Sigma Phi
This social organization for women was established by several local women on April 3, 1953. Major activities of the group are monthly programs, community projects, and service projects.
Xi Beta Chi
This chapter of Beta Sigma Phi was founded in September 1959. Xi Beta Chi's main Ways & Means projects have been the painting of the inside and/or outside of rental properties owned by one member. Proceeds are then used for various projects - adopting a family each Christmas and supplying food and gifts as well as supplying Bingo gifts for an Adult Day Care.
Xi Epsilon Psi Chapter X5139 of Beta Sigma Phi
Ten members of the Theta Tau Chapter founded the Xi Epsilon Psi Chapter of Beta Sigma Phi on March 14, 1978. Some things to which Xi Epsilon Psi contributed were the Queen's Ball 1981 and 1994, the Style Show 1986, Bowling 1987 and State Day 1990.
Xi Eta Zeta chapter of Beta Sigma Phi
Barbara Coveleskie established this chapter in April 1993. The chapter's main purposes are social and cultural. The members are involved with community service and do one major activity per year.
Young Women's Christian Association
Early YWCA groups were actually responding to the social concerns created by the industrial revolution. More women were entering the work force and were confronted with the problems of urban life. It has become the world's largest women's membership organization with 400 in the U.S. and is active in 83 countries.
Terre Haute's YWCA was the third to be established in the state of Indiana and it was organized in 1902. This occupied the residence at 664 Ohio St, now known as the "Goodie Shop block."
The Terre Haute YWCA mirroring others throughout the country, provided inexpensive shelter and meals and sponsored social and educational activities for women in the community. The YWCA was incorporated in 1904 for "the improvement of the physical, social, intellectual, and spiritual condition of young women." The current wording (as of 1999) includes "all women and their families.'"
In 1916, YWCA Girl Reserve Clubs for teenage girls were formed with the schools of the city. The reserve clubs were renamed in 1947 as the "Y-Teen Clubs" and the Terre Haute YWCA continues to have more teenage members than any of the 14 YWCAs in the state of Indiana.
The Terre Haute YWCA was the first in the area to integrate its Board, residence and food services in 1948
In 1975 groundbreaking for the Fairbanks Park location began and was dedicated October 24, 1976. The building was expanded with a full-size gym and pool in 1990 and with an enlarged fitness center in 1999.
Zorah Shrine Temple, A.A.O.N.M.S.
The Zorah Shrine Temple is the Terre Haute chapter of the Ancient Arabic Nobles of the Mystic Shrine and was founded on June 9, 1909. The Terre Haute chapter's begining dates to Sunday, December 16, 1888 when a group of Murat Temple members residing in Terre Haute met in Asylum of Terre Haute Commandery No. 16 Knights Templar and formed an association known as the Terre Haute Shrine Club. This very active club decided in 1907 to ask the Imperial Council for a Temple in Terre Haute. In 1910 a charter was granted by the Council in New Orleans.
In 1911 Bert Whitmer, Ed Dorsey and Charlie Reynolds attempted setting up a band. Of the members, only one could play a band instrument. Volunteers labored steadily to master instruments and any new member who was a musician was ushered into the band. The first national appearance of the band was in 1919 at which point they were 35 strong.
The Zorah Shrine's major projects are the Shrine Circus benefit for children in Shrine Hospitals and the Crippled and Burned Children's Hospital Committee which makes arrangements to transport area patients to Shrine Hospitals free of charge.