Library Buildings Closed: For the health and safety of our customers, staff, and community the Vigo County Public Library buildings are closed to due to COVID-19. Customers can access the Library’s digital resources to stream movies and music, listen to an audiobook, or read an ebook. If you do not have a Library card, you may get a temporary 90-day barcode to access digital resources by registering online. Please do not be concerned about returning Library materials — all due dates have been extended.
Focus on the Facts: Learn more information about COVID-19, also known as Coronavirus, from these sources.
Why do I need a library card?
To record materials loaned from the Library and for access to some online VCPL resources, each registered customer is given a library account and a corresponding borrowers card with a unique account (barcode) number.
How long is my card good for?
Accounts are valid for a 3 year period from the date of registration, with the exception of all non-resident, reciprocal, and PLAC borrower accounts which are valid for a 1 year period.
Does a library card cost anything?
For many customers a library account and borrowers card is free but under some circumstances a fee, as required by state law, will be charged.
Free Borrowers Card
You are eligible to obtain a free Vigo County Public Library borrowers card if:
- You are a resident of or own property in Vigo County
- You are a non-resident of Vigo County but
- You are a student enrolled in a school grades preschool through college or university located in Vigo County
- You are an employee of a school grades preschool — grade 12 located in Vigo County
- You have a valid home library card from an Indiana public library that has signed the Statewide Reciprocal Borrowing Agreement
- You have a valid Public Library Access Card (PLAC) card. PLAC is a statewide library card program that allows an individual to borrow materials from any public library in Indiana
Fee Based Borrowers Card
If you are not eligible for a free borrowers card or wish to purchase a PLAC card the following fees apply:
- You may purchase an individual non-resident card for an annual fee which is currently $65
- You may purchase an individual Public Library Access Card (PLAC) for an annual fee which is currently $65
How do I get my library card?
To get your borrowers card just visit the circulation department at the Main Library or the West Branch Library and present a completed registration form along with qualifying credentials. Qualifying credentials include a photo ID, proof of address, and, depending on your eligibility status, may require additional form(s) of verification as listed below. You can also submit an online registration to get a provisional library card with limited access to VCPL’s online resources prior to completing your registration at a library location. Online registrations will expire in 21 days unless registration has been completed at the Main or West Branch Library circulation department.
What are the required forms of verification and qualifying credentials?
- Photo ID
- A proof of address of residence such as photo ID with current address, utility bill, or pay stub
- If you are a non-resident of Vigo County these additional forms of verification will be required
- owners of property in Vigo County must also present a proof of ownership document such as property deed or current tax bill
- students enrolled in a preschool &mdash 12 or college/university located in Vigo County must also present a current student ID
- employees of a preschool &mdash 12 school located in Vigo County must also present a current pay stub from the school at which you’re employed
- reciprocal borrowers of the Statewide Borrowing Agreement and PLAC borrowers must also present their current and valid home library card
- Unemancipated minors under age 18 must have a parent or guardian sign the registration application and provide photo ID and other required documents as listed above
Can my agency or business get a library card?
Institutions, businesses, corporations, and not-for-profit agencies located in Vigo County are eligible to apply for a borrowers card.