**Western Register and Terre Haute Advertiser, July 21, 1823; page 3, column 3**

“Public Library”

According to the History of the Public Library in Vigo County, provisions for libraries were made in the first state constitution of 1816. At least ten percent of the sale of lots was to be set aside for a library. In 1822 Joseph Jenckes began the purchase of books and John Britton was the librarian. The books, close to eight hundred volumes, were selected from Providence, Rhode Island and the collection was nearly equal to one book per citizen of the village of Terre Haute at the time. The reign of township libraries and subscription libraries would eventually override the need for the public library. Several concerned citizens began to petition for an official library which was realized in the 1880s. The petitioning had begun as early as 1857 when future head librarian Sallie Hughes was just a small child. In the early 1900s, the library was named the Emeline Fairbanks Memorial Library and Sallie Hughes served as director during these exciting times.