**Western Register and Terre Haute Advertiser, April 2, 1824; page 3, column 1**

“A Welcome Visitor”

In 1824, Terre Hauteans proudly welcomed the arrival of the steamboat known as the Ploughboy, the second steamboat to arrive in Terre Haute. The first steamboat, the Florence, arrived at Terre Haute on May 7, 1823 and docked at the foot of Oak Street. As is evident in this newspaper account, the steamboat was an amazing sight to Terre Haute citizens and also helped build the foundation for trade and industry in the city. The Ploughboy had traveled over five thousand miles up and down the Wabash, Ohio, and Mississippi rivers and was carrying 60 tons of merchandise. According to H.C. Bradsby’s 1891 history of Vigo County, the arrival of the Florence was quite a remarkable event for Terre Hauteans to witness. As he recounts, “What a great day was her arrival at Terre Haute. The people turned out with intense curiosity and welcomed it with great joy. They were not certain it was a thing of any practical value, but at all events it was a great curiosity.”