**Wabash Courier, July 17, 1841; page 2, column 6**
Advertisements from April 1839 welcomed Terre Haute citizens and travelers to the magnificent and newly opened Prairie House and announces employment opportunities at the hotel. Built by Chauncey Rose in September 1838, the hotel was set on a 320-acre farm that stretched from Walnut to Locust Streets and was the precursor to the Terre Haute House. While the hotel was known as one of the finest in the area, the advertisement also alluded to the sense of convenience and comfort it provided to its tenants. The hotel went through a series of ownership changes until the building was eventually demolished in the 1920s. Construction on the new Terre Haute House began in 1927 at 7th and Wabash, which is now the site of the Hilton Garden Inn.