Library Closing: All locations of the Vigo County Public Library will be closed on Sunday, May 27 and Monday, May 28 in honor of Memorial Day.
Collection Development Policy
The Vigo County Public Library provides a diverse collection of resources reflecting a variety of community viewpoints and interests. The Library strives to acquire and maintain resources of current interest and enduring value.
The Vigo County Public Library affirms the American Library Association’s Library Bill of Rights (Appendix A) and the Freedom to Read (Appendix B) statement. Recognizing diversity in the Vigo County community necessitates the inclusion of resources that may be considered objectionable to some people. Disparate views are provided so patrons may make informed, appropriate decisions for themselves and their families. An individual with a comment regarding library resources may complete a Library Resources Comment Form – Appendix D.
Collection Development Selection Guidelines
Library resources are chosen for inclusion in the collection based on:
- Quality of content, timeliness, accuracy, literary worth and cost
- Review sources, bestseller charts and standard selection sources as listed in Appendix C
- Professional library staff knowledge
- Reputation and past demand of author, publisher or producer
- Patron requests and anticipated community demand
- Inclusion in a series
- Physical suitability for library use
- Subject and genre deficiencies in existing collection
- Intended audience
- Availability of local community resources
- Availability of resources in digital format
Collection Maintenance Guidelines
The materials are removed from the collection based on:
- Physical condition
- Availability of resource in alternate format
- Usage statistics
Gifts and Donations Guidelines
Gifts and donations are added to the collection based on the same guidelines used to select resources as defined in the Vigo County Public Library Gift Policy.
Adopted by the Board of Trustees of the Vigo County Public Library on the 17th day of December, 2012.
Standard Selection Sources
- Library Journal - prepublication alert, fiction and nonfiction
- New York Times Book Review - bestseller lists only
- Publishers Weekly
- Baker & Taylor Forecasts
- Publishers’ catalogs
- Booklist - advance only
- Kirkus Review
- Literature Resource Center
- OCLC WorldCat
- Magazines for Libraries
- School Library Journal
- NoveList Plus
- Video Librarian
- Internet Movie Database